February 17, 2012

Polarizer

February 17, 2012

New equipment!

The View

The View

Switzerland (2012)

Crozet

Crozet

France (2012)


I bought a circular polarizer. I'm doubly excited because the weather has also warmed up in the last day or two. Some people have even gone so far as to wear shorts! I don't think it's that warm. But I do think it's warm enough to get outside and make some more photographs this weekend.

I was trying something with the first photograph, 'The View'. One of the quotes I'm trying to use to improve my photography is "Don't make good photographs, make useful photographs." The photo above is trying to show you the viewer what my view is on many days. Sometimes the mountain is there, sometimes its hidden behind haze. When it's visible, its like an eye magnet for me. I didn't do anything tricky in the photo, other than use a polarization filter, the setting sunlight was falling on the Alps just like that, brightest on the top of Mont Blanc. I think it's probably partly the haze stuck down in the valley. Also though, the long industrial feeling buildings are here too, and I think that the way they are layered at the bottom is good. Even the power lines, while unfortunately covering the mountains, are a part of my daily view.

One thing that I think might give me a little trouble, is keeping track of which photos have the filter, and which do not. Maybe I can use total exposure to help me keep track. Since the filter removes about 1 stop of light, I ought to be able to see that in the exposure of the photos.

search